Blog post 10: Reflections

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed exploring the political side of water and development over these last 9 weeks and have learnt a lot in the process. In this blog, I’ve tried to cover different regions of Africa (figure 1) so as not to confine myself to certain cultures, societies, political institutions and economies. The blog has largely followed the structure outlined in my introductory post, discussing how politics is intertwined with water management and provision at individual to international scales. Previously, I primarily associated politics with formal institutions and legal frameworks, but this blog has really highlighted the omnipresent nature of politics to me. 

Figure 1. Map highlighting countries I’ve covered in this blog. Source

At the beginning of the blog I set out how physical characteristics affect safe water access. Whilst I still believe the physical environment plays a part in water distribution and access, it’s become clear that politics is at the centre of water issues. Although the exact cause of water problems in Africa varies across and within countries, there remains an overarching theme of power inequality: be it gender (post 7), racial (posts 4,7), political clout (posts 4, 5,7,8) or economic (posts 7, 8) disparities. Consequently, I am inclined to agree with Watkin’s sentiment that ‘poverty, power and inequality’ are fundamental to water crisis (2006).

I therefore think in order to tackle these water concerns, the social dimensions of the issue need to be addressed in tandem to providing necessary infrastructure. Moreover, international cooperation and water management is vital as hydrological systems are interconnected and water not restrained by borders. This cooperation will become increasingly important with climate change which disproportionately affects Africa despite the continent accounting for only 2-3% of carbon dioxide emissions (UN 2006). 

Finally, I want to thank those of you that have taken the time to read my posts. I hope you have found African hydropolitics as interesting as I have. 


Sun setting over African continent. Source: authors own

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post 5: Dam discussions in deadlock

Blog post 1: Introductions

Blog post 4: Cape Town water crisis - just another political game?